Sunday, December 03, 2006

At Bangalore Barcamp

I spent the better part of my weekend at the barcamp in Bangalore, held at the ThoughtWorks office. Day 1 had about 200 people. I haven't woken up this early on a Saturday morning in a long time, but I had to get there to book my speaker slot. Mine was the first presentation for the morning, on Web 2.0 Business models (or, where's the money, honey?). I was flattered when I saw the room full of people, and even more so when the organizers decided to move me (and my audience) into a bigger room to make place for everyone who wanted to attend. I had a great audience, so there was some discussion around whether online advertising is a really sustainable revenue model, what value propositions would really work, and whether we are looking at a Bubble 2.0 in the making.

My slideshow




Me presenting (Photo Courtesy: Arun)

Sowmya Karmali's session

Day 2 had lesser people, the "more serious crowd", according to someone. There were more informal gatherings, people hacking at something, blogging, podcasting, everyone airing their opinions. This is what you get if you get some geeks together on a weekend and give them enough food to eat.

Some interesting sessions I attended

  • Jon Boutelle's talk on building scalable web applications with ruby and s3
  • Marco's talk on Agile Software Project Management
  • Kiruba's talk on Proto.in
  • Card walls and Dancing by Deven Tolia
  • Building Ajax web applications using GWT
  • YourTube: Create your own video sharing site using OSS by Pradeep (motu)


More shared media:

Slides for (some) sessions here and here.

The flickr photo pool here.

One problem I commonly face at events is getting oversized T-shirts. I have a size L. Anyone who wants to trade a size M for a size L please let me know :)

A couple of sessions I attended deserve separate posts, those are coming up in a bit.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Soumya. Hmm, I'd badly wanted to be there but couldn't :-( It would have been great meeting folks like you.

Nice preso, could see Zoho in almost all slides :-) And you didn't say anything about getting the audience in splits / the Pulao recipe in the blog post ;-)

Anonymous said...

hey, expected some recipes here! missed your talk as was busy moving ur folks to room 1 n then looking at others. saw the slides. maybe we shud catch up sometime and discuss a bit. some of my present work is in the same area.
all the best with podcasting...
Aditya

Sowmya Karmali said...

Thanks Arvind, I did look out for you there, but guessed that you couldn't make it. News travels fast - I'm amazed that you heard about the pulao bit :)

Sowmya Karmali said...

Aditya, I'd love to catch up and discuss this further with you. In fact,I found some of your work interesting too. Drop me an email and we can meet up.

The podcast will be exclusively for recipes,I promise :)

Anonymous said...

got those info from photo sets on Flickr :-)

Unknown said...

Hey Sowmya, your readers wont be disappointed anymore as I have posted about you getting the audience in splits. Please check it out. i have just started reading your blog. So comments will follow.

Sowmya Karmali said...

Umesh, thanks for the link to your post, aptly named too. Boys will always be boys :).

Sridhar Pabbisetty said...

Hey Soumya,
Heard from a friend that ur session was really good, and it being hilarious too:). Hows u doing?

Anonymous said...

Hey Sowmya,

This is Deven from TWI.Thanks for your appreciation for the talk! It was natural for me to talk about dancing, something that I am extremely passionate and a little knowledgeable about :) I'll email you to connect on LinkedIn.

Cheers.